Friday, June 22, 2018

2018 Lego Story Art



This was my ninth year teaching LEGO classes at the youth arts festival!  I taught LEGO Art for 8 years, this year I retired that class and started LEGO Story Art.  The idea was to read a story each day and then teach the kids how to build something from each story using as many mini-figures as possible!  My two oldest kids helped teach, so the students got to have one-on-one help learning how to build cool stuff each day.  It was so much fun to teach the class this way.  I would love to see my kids be able to teach their own LEGO classes some day.

I custom built the LEGO sets this year to have lots of cool stuff like treasure boxes and chainlink and fire.  These came from custom brick makers.  I got basic bricks from the LEGO education and fun pieces like slopes, headlights, plates, ladders, dots, and eye tiles from a 900-piece creative LEGO set.  My original plan was to have a different classroom set of LEGO mini-figures each day, but I ended up just buying tons of custom mini-figures so the kids could have their own.  The funnest thing of all was the printed baseplate that looked like an island.

LEGO STORY ART

Cowboy Roasting Marshmalow

 Dustin's cowboy campout!  I love the roasting marshmallow, the campfire, and the tent.  This creation inspired a lot of what I did in my class.

Collin on the first day of class.
LEGO Wild West!

Pirates and crocodiles
Dragon and Knight
American Ninja Warrior: Warped Wall?
American Ninja Warrior obstacle course


LEGO Robot!
Window Robot with mini-figure inside


mini-figure bus
Lego Monsters

No comments: