Sunday, July 27, 2008

Japanese Croquettes

Japanese Croquettes
I was a bit afraid to try this recipe, since it looked quite a bit harder than the cakes, cookies, and slushes of previous months, but the taste adventurer in me won out. Yes this recipe is work, it took about an hour to prep and another hour to form the croquettes and cook them. That was with a house full of neighborhood kids though. Then there was the clean-up, one more hour. When I was done, I tested the croquettes out on the large assembly of kids close at hand and they were a hit! My first dozen looked horrible as I have never been able to properly put breading on anything in my life. I don't have a deep fryer, so, not knowing what I was doing I quickly burned my oil. At that point I started changing the recipe. I scooped out the rest in nice circles with a cookie scoop. I made a batter to dip the croquettes in and then pressed buttered bread crumbs into that. I then baked them at 350 for the rest of the afternoon...yes it was about two or three hours because the power kept going out (too many people running AC I guess), but the oven kept them warm and eventually they got brown. What an adventure. Thanks for the challenge it was fun! By the way, we didn't dip them in sauce, because we didn't have the Asian sauce and ketchup didn't sound good either, any other suggestions for a good croquette dip?

No comments: