Den Meeting #1 Confetti Bombs, Glitter Trails, and Green Popcorn.
The boys that arrived right on time got to do a "when to wash your hands" penny toss. They had ten pennies at a time and we called it a fortune teller. Whichever box on the chart had the most pennies landed on we said was the one they needed to remember the most!
Activity 2: Sneeze Experiment, I used washable marker on a white sheet to make our bulls eye and it washed right out in the laundry. I had no confetti, so I used dots from our hole punch that were green and purple. We called them viruses and bacteria. I had no regular balloons, but water balloons worked great, they pop so easily and I could make one for each boy. I used the end of a food thermometer for them to easily pop the baloons, they loved having a "popper". We used straws to push the paper dots into the balloons through a little plastic funnel, they liked having a "pusher" too. Here is one of my honorary cubs popping a balloon.
Activity 3: We had translucent glitter left over from snow globes at christmas, even though it wasn't bright, it worked great. We didn't worry about making a mess, just went for it and then vacuumed the carpet after.
Den Meeting #2 Gross Box Game, Germ Sweep Relay, Moldy Bread, and Job Charts
On time activity was Ned's Head, using another halloween activity we had the boys grab things out of Ned's head to see who could finish finding all their items first. You could use any box with a hole if you don't have Ned's Head. We had them talk about which items would have the most germs!
We put a plate of items in ziplocs with a bit of water sprayed on them for the mold experiment. I would also write on the bags MOLD GROWING EXPERIMENT.
|Mold 3 weeks later|
We made job charts. Then we had them do the germ sweep away relay. We made "germs" out of weighted water bottles and they swept them back and forth with brooms. I thanked them for "cleaning" the germs out of my house!
|pulling faces at the mold|
|Germ Sweep Relay from the Den Leader Guide|
Snack: regular, non-slimed popcorn this time!
Den Meeting #3 Slime
On time activity was making germ monster pictures for pack meeting. They were cute.
We played germ tag and then we made slime. The recipe in the book was confusing and the "updated" one online was the same confusing thing, so I just used the one we did in my daughter's school class from a mommy blog. I wrote the recipe down on strips and had the boys pick one or two so they each had a job to do.
1. combine 1/2 tsp borax and 1/4 cup warm water
2. pour a small 4oz bottle of glue in a separate bowl
3. fill empty glue bottle with warm water, put the lid back on, shake it, pour it in with the glue
4. stir the glue and water 10 times (have someone else stir more if needed)
5. leader: add a few squirts of bright green food coloring
6. pour the borax into the glue and stir ten times (if you can!)
7. leader: pour the almost slime into a freezer ziplock
8. squeeze the ziploc 10 times each until it really is slime.
9. put slime on a plate and do the mucous demonstration with glitter.
10. divide the slime into baggies for the boys to take home.