Friday, July 18, 2014

Cheap DIY Scrimmage Vests for Soccer

I coach my daughter's rec soccer team.  We have a super short season and I'm a volunteer, but I find myself constantly wishing I had scrimmage vests at soccer practice.  Every time we scrimmage the girls get really confused about who is on what team and I have a hard time coaching because I can't tell either.

We only have a handful of practices and scrimmage time is pretty short, so if I'm gonna have scrimmage vests they need to be practically free, not $5-6 dollars each!!!

I usually have 13-14 girls on a team and the most I've ever had at a practice is 13, so I figure 6 scrimmage vests should cover it.  I bought 3 mesh laundry bags at Dollar Tree.  Cut them in half and cut arm and neck holes.  I sewed anywhere that that came unraveled from cutting and voila, 6 scrimmage vests.  3 even have fancy drawstring hems.  This takes almost no time at all.  Love it.
Note these are crop top length, super cheap, but a bit small.

For a more comfortable vest, you could buy six laundry bags, cut off the top third to make the vests t-shirt length, then you sew the top closed.  Finish by cutting neck and arm holes.

Update: I have now used these super cheap vests two seasons.  The girls have stretched and pulled and mishapen them,  they are pretty ragged now, but they get the job done and I still like how cheap they are!



You do have to sew a seam on the second vest and a few other places to avoid fraying, sorry about the sewing:(  (you could probably glue it instead with good fabric glue)


neck 9 inches (perhaps a smaller neck for younger kids than 5th/6th grade)
arms 8 inches

no hemming, just fast and easy, lets go play!




4 comments:

Tim Hatt said...

Hi! On Friday, July 30, 2010 you posted a picture of "D" wearing the most adorable glasses. I want to get the same pair for my baby. I have checked with Miraflex but they don't have the shape and colour I want in the right size. Would you mind telling me where you got yours?

Tim Hatt said...

Hi!, On Friday, July 30, 2010 you posted a picture of "D" wearing the most adorable glasses. I want to buy the same pair for my baby. I have checked with Miraflex but they don't have the colour of shape available in the size we need. Would you mind telling me where you got yours?

Regina said...

Hi Tim,
The exact site I ordered from doesn't seem to still be online, but ABG (allbrandsglasses) seems to be selling the same pair. My son started Kindergarten this week and he is still wearing Red Miraflex glasses. He wore the first pair 2 1/2 years until he outgrew them and then we sized up and he has been wearing this pair this pair for 1 1/2 years. I bought another pair of glasses for him and he hated them, he says he never wants to wear anything but vinyl glasses ever. I love Miraflex!!!

Regina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.